A Therapeutic Separation Planning Guide is a 59-page PDF digital document that is divided into two main sections. Section one is for individual brainstorming by each partner, and section two is where the finalized therapeutic separation agreement comes together and is signed by the couple and the professionals involved. Each section includes worksheet-style pages filled with questions that are essential for creating a clear and effective therapeutic separation.
The open-ended questions cover topics such as:
- Purpose & Goals
- Strengths & Weaknesses
- Timing & Length
- Expectations for Individual Work
- Expectations for Couples Work
- Living Arrangements
- Parenting Responsibilities
- Family Activities
- Couple Communication
- Division of Household Responsibilities
- Physical Affection
- Sexual Intimacy
- Holidays & Special Events
- Worship & Spiritual Practices
- Handling Issues or Disagreements that Arise
- Decision-Making about Legal Separation or Divorce
- Post-Separation Expectations
Printing tip: If you choose to have this digital file printed as a hard copy document, using professional printing services will allow the images to be full bleed on the page (meaning the images go right to the edge of the page as opposed to having a white margin on all sides of the page). Be sure to ask for full bleed printing when you submit the PDF file for printing.
- Licensed and certified mental health providers and coaches who work with couples.
- Individuals contemplating a therapeutic separation want more information about what this type of separation involves and guidance for implementing one.